Marketing 2.0: Unbounce + ReTargeter
Our Marketing 2.0 blog series highlights a few innovative and interesting ways to leverage new marketing technology over the course of the next few posts.
In this post I wanted to talk about how you can maximize your ReTargeting performanceby leveraging Unbounce landing pages.
When someone enters the ReTargeting sphere, its because they have visited a page on your website and been tagged for ReTargeting. Meaning that theyll continue to receive your banner ads as they traverse other popular sites.
First, lets look at a few reasons why someone would re-engage with your brand after repeated exposure to your advertising:
- Timing: Perhaps the first time they visited your site they werent ready to engage with your brand. Project and budgetary factors can make one week different from the last and now might be the right time.
- Awareness: The visitor may have been tagged after viewing a blog post on your site (blog post transients have a high bounce rate and probably didnt check out the rest of the site) and they might now be brought back by seeing your core brand message more clearly.
- Product Readiness: This is similar to timing, but instead refers to the product rather than the customer. If you’re promoting a new feature in your ReTargeting banners, it could be the trigger that convinces them that your product/service has matured to a point where they are ready to engage.
Clearly, there was a reason the customer didnt convert the first time around. This could be related the elements listed above or just the simple fact that your message wasnt clear enough.
What does this have to do with landing pages?
Landing pages allow you to produce focused and targeted messaging for your campaigns, improving the clarity of what youre communicating. Unbounce lets you build landing pages in minutes and also allows you to run tests on those pages to uncover the subtle communication differences that will boost your conversion rates.
Getting your message right
The goal is to massage your messaging so that your ReTargeted visitors convert in the future. Here are some steps to follow:
- Treat your ReTargeting as a campaign.
- Create some new campaign messaging for each of the factors you identify as critical to regaining your customers (primarily from #2 and #3 above). For example, you might do one series of banners that re-state your primary value proposition, and another set for a new feature or promotion.
- Create a new landing page in Unbounce (start with a template and add your branding, product/service info and messaging) – do this for each campaign message. The landing page will be used to enhance the banner messaging and warm the customer up before passing them back to your website.
- Create banners for each message.
- Add the ReTargeter script to your conversion pages as normal.
- Compare your campaign performance to see which type (generic or feature based) performs the best.
- For each campaign, run A/B tests on your landing pages to optimize the click through rate.
- Enjoy high conversion rates and increased measurability.